Ijen Crater tour from Pemuteran 1 Day is the best choice if you decide to start this Trip from Bali (or Ketapang). Located only one hour away from the ferry harbour connecting Bali, Kawah Ijen is a composite volcano offering one of the best and breathe taking scenery in Indonesia.
Famous for the acidic turquoise lake and the blue fire, the volcano is also well known for its miners carrying almost pure sulfur from inside the crater. An amazing experience that will bring you to another planet and will give you a human insight into the life around this atypical mountain. Ijen expedition will ensure you live this experience in total security, with nothing to worry about except taking the best pictures ever!
Ijen Crater Tour Highlights
- Look into the volcanic crater of Mount Ijen and see the famous blue fires
- Hike through a rainforest of giant ferns and trees
- Get panoramic views of the sulfur lake and surrounding scenery
- Watch the sunrise over East Java
the blue fire is ignited with sulphuric gas, which emerges from cracks at temperatures up to 600 degrees Celsius (1,112 degrees Fahrenheit). Those gases are directly originated from the magmatic chamber under the volcano. The flames can be up to 5 meters high; some gas condenses to liquid and is still ignited. It is the largest blue flame area in the world and one of the purest sulfur mines.
Escaping volcanic gases are channelled through a network of ceramic pipes, resulting in the condensation of molten sulfur. The sulfur, which is deep red in colour when molten, pours slowly from the ends of these pipes and pools on the ground, turning bright yellow as it cools. miners break the cooled material into large pieces and carry it away in baskets. Miners carry loads ranging from 75 kilograms to 90 kilograms, up 300 meters to the crater rim, with a gradient of 45 to 60 degrees and Most miners make this journey twice a day.
See the famous blue fires of Mount Ijen on an overnight trip from Bali. Hike through the rainforest of East Java and get the chance to peer into the volcanic crater at night.
Ijen Crater Tour Itternarary
Starting from Denpasar Airport, Kuta, Ubud, Sanur, or any other places in Bali, our English-speaking driver will pick you up at 6 pm, with an AC vehicle to bring you to the most western part of Bali in Gilimanuk (Ferry terminal to Java). The trip takes about 4 hours. Once in Gilimanuk, the ferry ride takes 1 hour to reach Ketapang (Banyuwangi ferry terminal). Remember that Java is h-1 compared to Bali.
From there, at around 12:00 am we will bring you to the Paltuding rest area (1-1,5 hours). The road offers several magic landscapes in the middle of rice fields, small villages, and one one the last primary tropical rainforest left on Java island rounded by numerous volcanoes. You will mainly enjoy those sceneries on the way back during the daytime.
From Paltuding Area, at around 1:30 am, you will start hiking to Ijen Crater. It takes about 1:30 -1:45 minutes for the 3km hike following a gentle slope and slightly uphill to reach the summit. The path is pretty well maintained in good condition and other views of rounding volcanoes and luxurious vegetation will accompany your journey. From the crater rim, providing you gas mask, we will bring you down to see the blue fire right on the edge of the acidic lake (temperature of the lake: +- 40°c; Ph: 0,5; max depth:+-200m).
The laker is also the source for the river Banyupahit, resulting in highly acidic and metal-enriched river water which has a significant detrimental effect on the downstream river ecosystem.
After enjoying the spectacular Blue Fire, we go back to the crater rim to enjoy the sunrise over the entire volcanic area.
Hike to go down takes about 45mins – 1h. The driver will pick you up in Paltuding to go to have breakfast. After breakfast, we continue our journey to the Ketapang ferry terminal to cross to Bali (ferry +-1h). Once in Bali, it takes about 4-5 hours to reach Denpasar, Ubud, Kuta, or Sanur. (Keep in mind that Bali is H+1 compared to java time). ARRIVAL at your final destination at 3-4 pm.
Ijen Crater Tour Itternarary
09.30: pick up service
09.00-30.00 pm: drive to Gilmanuk harbor
11.00-12.00 am: go to java by ferry
12.00-01.00 am: drive to the Ijen parking area
01.00-02.30 am: hiking to the Ijen crater rim
02.30-03.00 am: down the crater for blue fire
03.00-04.00 am: experience the blue fires
04.00-05.00 am: back to the crater rim
05.00-06.00 am: enjoy the view over the acidic lake and sunrise
06.00-07.00 am: back to the parking area
07.00-08.00 am: breakfast
08.00: back to Bali
Need To Bring In This Trip
– Decent shoes for hiking or trekking (with a good grip on its sole)
– Light clothes for trekking (inner layer)
– Gloves / any personal items needed to prevent cold weather
– Warm jacket (preferably windproof)
– Raincoat and tissues (available at basecamp)
– Small backpack to carry items
– Cap or hat (it gets sunny after morning)
– Personal ID card
– Snacks or any light meals needed for long trekking
– Camera or any other tools to capture pictures
– Destination area is restricted for people with asthma
– Destination area is restricted for people with heart disease
– Destination area is restricted for people with a serious medical issue
– Not recommended for pregnant travellers
– Not recommended for travellers with back problems
– Advised for fit and healthy traveller
- IDR 2,500,000 for 1 person (good price for solo traveler)
- IDR 1,250,000 /person (for 2 participants)
- IDR 950,000 /person (for 3 participant)
- IDR 775,000 /person (for 4 participants)
- IDR 700,000 /person (for 5 participants)
- IDR 625,000 /person (for 6-15 participants)
- Transportation from Bali to Java
- Entrance fee
- Trekking guide
- gas mask
- local breakfast
- Lunch and dinner
- typing guide and driver
BOOK YOUR TOUR HERE